Wall panelling is the ideal way to add impactful style and texture to a plain room or hide imperfections on the walls.
Wondering about what the whole wall panelling concept is all about? Well, we have you covered! Here’s all you need to know about wall panelling, the materials used and the cost. We have also included the trendiest wall panelling ideas for your home!
What is Wall Panelling?
Traditionally, wall panels were used as insulation between stone walls and the room. Today, wall panelling is installed to add an aesthetic appeal to a room. Along with all the appeal, it also prevents wall damage, hides unsightly electrical cables and provides structural support.
Wall panelling can be installed in two ways:
- By screwing panels onto the wall. This is applicable for straight, smooth wall surfaces and lightweight panels.
- By installing a metal grid frame on the wall and then skewing the panels onto the grid.
Materials Used in Wall Panelling
The materials popularly used in the wall panellings are:
- Wooden: Wooden panels are made of planks or sheets of solid wood, engineered board, or other wood-like products. They can be designed into attractive box mouldings and batten styles to give a 3D effect.
- Wainscot: This style of wall panelling is created from wood and synthetic materials. The materials are carved into patterns and attractive designs. Wainscot is usually installed in the bottom half of the wall.
- Veneer and Laminate: These are made of durable particleboard substrate or wood veneer. They can be used for walls and ceilings.
- MDF: Made by dry pressing wood shavings at a high temperature, this material offers a durable and stylish wall panel option.
- Fabric: Fabric panels are a great idea for bedrooms and sound-proof entertainment rooms. These are wood panels padded with foam and batting and then covered with a fabric of your choice.
- Metals: Metal wall panels add a sleek statement to a modern room. Aluminium, steel and copper can make durable wall panels for your living room.
- Chipboard: This is made by hot pressing sawdust and chips. It is not as strong as wood, therefore can only be used in dry areas. However, it gives a wood-like finish.
- PVC: It is made of rigid polyvinyl chloride with a small amount of plasticiser. They are water-resistant and durable.
- Glass: It can give you sleek mirror-finished walls.
Wall Panelling Costs
Here are the approximate costs of wall panelling depending on the material you use:
Types Of Wall Panelling Materal
Starting Price INR (per sq. foot)*
|Wood Wall Panels||250|
|Veneer and Laminate Panelling||350+|
|Fabric Wall Panelling||350+|
Tips to Maintain Wall Panelling
- Dust the wall panels regularly using a feather duster or a dry, lint-free cloth. You can also vacuum-clean it once every few weeks.
- Ensure that the panelled walls are away from direct sunlight. Fabric, patterned paper and laminate can fade with exposure to sunlight. If it happens to be a room with a lot of direct sunlight, install thick day curtains or drapes.
- Clean off splatters and spills with a soft cloth and mild soapy water, don’t let the stain stay for long. Don’t let alkali-based cleaning liquids or heavy-duty solvents sit for too long on wood panels.
- Metal wall panels should be annually inspected to remove debris and inspect joints. Don’t forget to replace any damaged panels or trims timely.
Top Trendy Wall Panelling Ideas For Your Home
Here are the coolest ideas to inspire you to add drama to your room using wall panels.
1. Wainscoting adds layers and drama to this room below. Go bold with a bright shade like this or choose a safer pastel – either way, you can be sure that this technique will add just the amount of character you will love.
2. If you don’t really want all the walls to stand out in a room, you can pick one wall to do all the talking. This wooden wall panel, for instance, acts as a highlight wall behind the entertainment unit.
3. This solid wood panel in the classical dark wood style is an excellent choice if your interior design sense is more traditional than modern.
4. There is something about this veneer wall panelling in white that gives the room a clean, nautical vibe. It adds a subtle dimension as well.
7. Royal-touch anyone? This elegant fabric wall panelling adds warmth and drama to the bedroom. No need for artwork, this is a piece of art by itself.
8. This wooden wall panel with a patterned 3D effect may just be the touch of a modern twist your room needs. After all, it’s all in the details, right?
10. You can let your imagination run wild if you go for a decorative PVC panel like the one in this living room. It will be the perfect back-drop to your ultra-cool and modern home.