From sunset scenes to botanicals, geometric patterns to paisley prints, wallpaper is a lovely way to transform the look of your living room. While the right choice can elevate your room from the ordinary to timeless, get it wrong and you can mar the look of your interior to something that’s unspeakably horrific!
Without a doubt, choosing the right wallpaper can be tricky. Keep these pointers in mind:
- Colour is what sets the mood in a room. Cool colours like blue and grey create a peaceful, tranquil feel, while warm colours like reds and yellows add vibrancy and heat.
- If the wall surface is uneven or imperfect, opt for textured wallpaper that can hide all the flaws.
- Small prints and regular patterns tend to look more formal, while larger prints and irregular patterns add funky character.
- If your room is dark, use subtle metallic hints or reflective wallpaper that will bounce the light around. Remember that dark shades absorb light, and heavily textured surfaces too will tend to reduce the brightness in the room.
- Vertical lines make the ceiling appear taller, while horizontal lines make the room seem to be wider than it is.
- Try wallpapering only part of a wall, perhaps the centre, instead of the whole of it. You can create borders around the wallpaper, and paint the rest of the wall a solid colour.
- Do not mix and match too many patterns in a room, as the effect can be overwhelming.
- Choose from acrylic, vinyl, fabric-backed or non-woven wallpaper types.
- Washable materials are more durable and can be wiped clean with a soft cloth.
- Peel and stick material can be easily removed whenever you tire of the look, without damaging the wall behind.
- Especially when using textured wallpaper, you can play with downlights to highlight the wall and heighten the dramatic effect.
Ready to get started? Here’s some décor inspiration to help you pick the perfect wallpaper for your living room! Check out this curated collection of living room wallpaper ideas.
Play on Patterns
Traditional prints are coming back on trend, and this living room is a throwback to the décor of the 80s. Oversized retro Bohemian accents make a dramatic statement in this black, grey and beige seating area.
Brick patterned wallpaper adds urbane glam to this modern, all-white living room with IKEA-style furniture. Neat and perfectly balanced, brick outlines have withstood the test of time and will never go out of style.
Bold florals energize and add a dramatic touch, as can be seen from this grey themed living room. The wallpaper is used to stunning effect in just the top panel of the wall, boxed in with deep grey panelling on all sides. The cushions repeat the same floral designs, albeit in a smaller scale.
Forest themed washable wallpaper runs all the way along with the living and kitchen areas in this compact bedsit. This room explores geometrics and prints in off-white and gray, the play of colours serving to unify the whole décor. The wallpaper can be wiped clean, making the kitchen space easy to maintain.
This old-fashioned wallpaper screams retro and is a look that’s coming back in style. Match it with vintage armchairs and real wood floors for a feel-good décor style that’s high on comfort and nostalgia.
High-shine metallic wallpapers like this delicate silver print add a sumptuous, glamorous touch to your living room. Be sure to create contrast with bold, solid colours like this deep blue armchair with bright red cushions.
Printed wallpaper along an entire wall sets this living room squarely in the middle of a suburban landscape. Pick from wallpapers that showcase sunset scenes on the beach, rugged mountainscapes, verdant rainforest themes and many more.
Bring the outdoors in, and infuse freshness into your home with verdant botanical prints. The pineapple stencil on the wall alongside adds to the tropical flavour.
Delicate pinstripes set the stage for this carefully coordinated look. The varied spacing adds an element of motion to the décor, and the vertical lines create an illusion of height which is important in a small space.
Bold green chevron wallpaper complements the modern theme in this classy loft. Note the custom-designed table with standout legs, and the pops of colourful cushions on the sleek monochromatic sofa.
This fresh, modern take on leaf prints is an attention grabber in this contemporary living room. Patterns like this blend well with any style of décor, from classic to modern.
Colour blocking is a trend that’s here to stay. This designer has mixed and matched solid blocks of paint against wallpaper that falls in line with the colour palette, and we must say we totally love the look! The cushions in matching hues tie the decor together.
The right choice of wallpaper draws the eye and creates a lovely backdrop against which the rest of your décor elements can comfortably fall into place. Do you need someone to hand-hold you while you make your wallpaper decisions for the living room? Call HomeLane for custom designs, ideas and décor advice!