“King size or queen size?” That’s the first question you would hear when you go shopping for a cot, mattress or even a bedspread. You may also hear “single or double?”.
If you’re confused which cot or mattress to choose for your bedroom, then here’s everything you need to know about king size and queen size.
King Size Bed vs Queen Size: Dimensions
The first question on your mind would be – how much bigger is a king than a queen?
The dimension of king and queen beds vary from country to country. For instance, a king-size bed may measure 150 cm × 200 cm (59 in × 79 in) in the UK, but 183 cm × 191 cm (72 in × 75 in) in Singapore and Malaysia. However, due to the increasing scope for global trade, bed sizes are becoming more standardized.
In India, the typical king size dimension is 183 cm × 216 cm (72 in × 85 in) and queen size dimension is usually 152 cm × 198 cm (60 in × 78 in). Single and double beds are smaller in size. A single bed measures 91 cm × 198 cm (36 in × 78 in) and a double bed measures 122 cm × 198 cm (48 in × 78 in).
When to Choose King Size and Queen Size Bed
A king-size bed is suitable for large master bedrooms of 10 x 14 feet or more. It will be ideal for couples or a small family with an infant to sleep comfortably, allowing ample personal space while sleeping.
A queen size is more compact and space-efficient. It’s more suitable for medium-sized bedrooms of size 10 x 12 feet at least. It will be perfect for couples who need a moderate amount of space to move around while sleeping. It can also work well for those who want to sleep alone with a lot of space, and a large room.
Cost of King Size and Queen Size Beds
The price of a king-size bed will be higher than a queen-size one because of the bigger size. The price of a wooden king size bed may range from Rs. 12,000 to Rs. 100,000, while a wooden queen size bed would be available for a price between Rs.10,000 to Rs. 90,000.
The price difference may not be substantial enough to affect your decision, and you can find affordable products in both sizes. You should base your decision on the dimensions of the bed, your room size and requirements.
Pros & Cons of King Size and Queen Size Beds
Here are some of the pros and cons of both types of beds:
|King Size Bed||Queen Size Bed|
How to Choose a Bed Size
You should choose a bed size depending on the following factors:
- Space available inside your room: There should be at least 2 feet free space on three sides around the bed in your room. However, this depends on how many other pieces of furniture you need in the room. If there are more pieces, then you will need more than 2 feet of free space.
- No. of people using it: Whether the bed is meant for a single person or two people (or more).
- Preferred sleeping position: Consider whether you are a still sleeper, someone who keeps moving around, your preferred leg positions, and so on.
- Personal space preference: How much space do you need while sleeping, and how much space do you need to move around while sleeping?
- Body size: Body height and size have to be considered when choosing the bed type.
If you buy from any other country, dimensions and names may vary considerably. Also, mattresses of the same size may have slightly different dimensions, due to manufacturing tolerances, amount of padding, and support type.
We hope you are clear with the difference between queen and king-sized beds now. The experts at HomeLane can help you choose or custom-build the right-sized bed for your room along with designing the rest of your bedroom. Reach out to us for a discussion right away.